Thought leading publications written and recommended by our conference speakers and session organizers:
Plenary: Shifting Institutions
- "Risks and Opportunities From the Changing Climate Playbook for the Truly Long-Term Investor"
- "Introducing the Impact Investing Benchmark"
Basic Member’s Track
Influencing And Changing Corporate Behavior – Enhancing The Impact Of Your Public Equities Investment
- "2016 Proxy Resolutions and Voting Guide"
- Chevron Greenhouse Gas Emissions Goals Resolution
- ConocoPhillips Lobbying Disclosure (sample shareholder resolution)
- Emerson Electric Sustainability Report (sample shareholder resolution)
- Example Shareholder Proposals
- ExxonMobil Acknowledge Moral Imperative to Limit Global Warming to 2°C (sample shareholder resolution)
Break Down Silos And Maximize Impact: Investing Across Financial Resources And Via Intermediaries
- "Risk In Philanthropy: Funders Don’t Ask & Non-Profits Don’t Tell (2015 Survey Report)"
- "A Framework for Risk"
- "How I Became a Localist"
- "Using Emergence to Take Social Innovation to Scale”
Mission Aligned Investing - Actual Implementation
- "Total Portfolio Activation: A Framework for Creating Social and Environmental Impact across Asset Classes"
- "Investing for Positive Impact on Women: Integrating Gender into Total Portfolio Activation"
To Own What You Own – Know What You Own
Reading for Thursday, March 10
Special Breakfast Meeting: Sustainable Fisheries, Sponsored By CEI
Member's Keynote With Mitchell Kapor, Partner, Kapor Center For Social Impact
Plenary: The Influence Of Money In Democracy
- "SEC Can Still Work On A Corporate Political Disclosure Rule"
- “Tax Short-Termism, Fund Long-Termism”
- “Financialization and Equal Opportunity”
- Stacked Deck: How the Dominance of Politics by the Affluent & Business Undermines Economic Mobility in America
Eliminating Extreme Poverty: The Business Case For Meeting The UN's Sustainable Development Goals
- “A Multifaceted Program Causes Lasting Progress For The Very Poor: Evidence From Six Countries”
- Graduating From Destitution: A Multi-Country Study Comes Up With A Universal Method To Help The Very Poor
- Leaving It Behind: How To Rescue People From Deep Poverty—And Why The Best Methods Work
- Reaching the Poorest: Lessons from the Graduation Model
- From Extreme Poverty to Sustainable Livelihoods: A Technical Guide to the Graduation Approach
- Summary Notes from the Graduation Leadership Summit and Global Learning Event 2015
- Transforming The Economic Lives Of The Ultra-Poor
- Building Stable Livelihoods for the Ultra-Poor
- Transforming The Economic Lives Of The Ultra-Poor
- Doing Digital Finance Right
- Electronic G2P Payments: Lessons from Four Countries
Getting Impact Capital To The Grass Roots
- "Western New York Impact Investing Feasibility Study"
- “Turning The Global Economy Into Connected Communities”
Investing In A Clean Energy Economy For All
Local Food System Investing In The U.S.
- “Investing in Small Food Enterprises"
- “Investing in Local Food Businesses for Community Health and Wealth”
Looking Beyond Next Quarter, Changing Our Thinking About Timelines And Return
Regenerative Finance: Radical Investing On The Frontlines Of Climate And Economic Crises
Evening Plenary: Scaling Impact: Gaining Velocity Or Losing Ground?
- Impact Investing: What Will It Take to Get to Scale?
- “Market Rate Returns: The Ultimate Red Herring…”
- “Headwinds and Tailwinds”
- "When Perfect is the Enemy of Good"
- “Afternoon Musings While Hurtling Across Europe at 300kph”
- "If a Dog Can Get Access to Capital"
- "A New Public Finance Tool to Help the Most Vulnerable"
- "States Seek Private Financial Help to Fix Social Problems"
- "Profits Meets Philanthropy in 'Pay for Success' Investments"
- "U.S. Policy Shift Can Unleash the Power of Impact Investing"
- "Response to "The Payoff of Pay for Success""
- "Private Capital, Public Good: How Smart Federal Policy Can Galvanize Impact Investing -- And Why It's Urgent"
- "Rebuilding Lives, Reducing Costs: A New Financial Model for Employment Versus Incarceration"
- "Getting Back More Than a Warm Feeling"
Reading for March 11
Plenary: Investors Reflections With The Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- "Op-Ed A Rockefeller Explains: Why I Lost Faith In Exxon Mobil, And Donated My Shares"
- The Rockefeller Brothers Fund Proxy Voting Guidelines and Procedures
Investing In Gender Equality
- "Is There Room For NGOs In The Impact Investing Ecosystem?"
- "Good For You, David Brooks! Now, Could I Please Have Thomas Friedman’s Phone Number?"
Managing For Impact: Metrics 2.0 To Strengthen Our Practice
Our Democracy In Peril: Social Impact Opportunities In Prison Reform
- “Trends in U.S. Corrections”
- "Punishment and Inequality: Undermining America's Economic Future - Part 1; Mass Incarceration and Income Inequality"
- "Punishment and Inequality: Part 2; Criminal Background Checks"
- "Obama, in Oklahoma, Takes Reform Message to the Prison Cell Block"
- Carry Your Cash: Supporting Community Finance with Cash Deposits
- Doubling Philanthropic Impact: Below Market Rate Investments in Native American Community Financial Institutions
- Doubling Philanthropic Impact: Below Market Rate Investments in Sustainable Fisheries and Food Systems
- Open for Business: Building Local Economies Through Place-Based Investing
- Six Principles for Proxy Voting
- Aligning Portfolio with Mission: Pooled Funds and Proxy Voting
Climate Solutions Summit Reading
- A Guide to Community Solar: Utility, Private, and Non-profit Project Development
- "An Interview with Dennis Kucinich about His Presidential Platform on Energy and the Environment"
- Climate Finance: A Status Report & Action Plan
- Climate Investor One FMO
- Fixed-Income Investing in Climate Solutions: Green Bond Opportunities for Philanthropic Foundations
- Handbook on Climate-Related Investing across Asset Classes
- Investing in a Healthier Climate
- Investing in a Time of Climate Change
- IRENA Sustainable Energy Marketplace
- Risks and Opportunities From the Changing Climate: Playbook for the Truly Long-Term Investor